Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mets Morning News: Einhorn Negotiations, Bay's Hammy, & Where WillBeltran End Up?

After learning that the Mets had begun talks with three other bidders interested in buying a minority stake in the team, David Einhorn has once again become the front-runner, entering into exclusive talks with the team.
Einhorn's exclusive negotiating period to buy 33% of the Mets for $200 million ended in early July and while the team's owners continued to negotiate with the founder of Greenlight Capital, they also quietly began talks with Bartoszek and two other potential investors, according to sources said. Wilpon and Einhorn had hoped to consummate their agreement by the end of June, and sources said they still hope to finalize the deal soon.
Jason Bay left Wednesday's game in the fourth inning with a tight right hamstring. Bay believes he may have hurt his hamstring while running out a base hit against Philadelphia. Terry Collins may give him Thursday off just as a precaution.
"Terry was aware of it," Bay said. "I kind of felt it was OK if I was jogging. I hit that ground ball to short and my first couple [of] steps, I could feel it. I kind of slowed down but there was something that kind of prevented me from really going and then there was a ball down the line my first couple steps again your first instinct is to go real quick, but I could feel it immediately. Not bad, but enough that I'm a little concerned that if I keep going at that pace something bad might happen."
According to the Daily News, a source with the Mets has indicated that trading Carlos Beltran to NL East opponents is not out of the question.
A team source indicated Wednesday that the Mets would not be opposed to deal Beltran within the NL East to rivals Philadelphia or Atlanta if those offers were deemed the best returning package. The official added that the Mets aren't necessarily looking to acquire a specific position in potential deals for Beltran or other players, just the best prospect or combination thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment