Sunday, September 25, 2011

Mets Morning News: Pelfrey's Secondary Pitch, A Generation Of Losing,Strawberry's Message To Reyes

According to Andy McCullough of The Star-Ledger, Mike Pelfrey is going into this offseason continuing to look for and develop a good secondary pitch.
In five major-league seasons, he has attempted to utilize a curveball, a changeup, a slider and a splitter. None have proved useful. In the process, through a mechanical quirk, he believes he has downgraded the quality of his sinker, the pitch that carried him to the big leagues in the first place.

“I didn’t reach any of my goals,” Pelfrey said. “I didn’t do any of the things I wanted to do. It’s frustrating.

“I’m a big believer that you get out of it what you put into it. So I’m just going to go into the offseason and bust my butt harder than I ever have. We’ll see what happens next year.”
Mike Vaccaro of the NY Post writes how an entire generation of Mets fans know them to be a bunch of losers.
So an entire generation of New York baseball children have been born, raised and sent off into the world knowing only one pecking order in New York City. The Mets have had their moments: 1999, 2000, and 2006, and even the agonizing Septembers that followed. There remain a lot of Mets fans, through their struggles, in the same way there always were plenty of Dodgers fans in the ’30s and Giants fans in the ’40s.
Darryl Strawberry has a message for Jose Reyes: Stay in New York.
"I know if I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed," Strawberry said. "It looks good on the other side, but it's not always as good as the place that you're used to. When you're young, you don't realize that. For me, I was young and I didn't realize what New York meant to me.

"So tell Jose that New York is a great place. No matter what, it's a great place to play. No matter what you have to go through, how difficult it gets, this is the place where you want to play."

No comments:

Post a Comment