Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mets Morning News: Wright's Back Okay, Reyes Leads Batting Race, NimmoVisits Citi, Mets Block Yanks

David Wright was drilled in the back by a pitch from Francisco Cordero in the ninth inning of last night's game. Luckily, the pitch was nowhere near where he suffered a stress fracture in his lower back.
"I'm a little sore, but that's probably to be expected," Wright said. "It just got me in a weird spot. It didn't get me in the back. It got me more kind of like under the armpit, like the lat.

"I'm not worried about that," Wright continued, referring to the stress fracture. "I'm just worried about motion with my left arm. We'll be able to probably judge it a little better tomorrow."
Jose Reyes has the slimmest of leads in the National League batting title race. He is currently ahead of Ryan Braun with a .33396 average. Braun is at .33393.
"I can't lie to you; I see it on the scoreboard because people were cheering about it," Reyes said. "I'm going to continue to play my game. I don't want to put anything in my head the last two games.

"There's no doubt, I think about it a little bit now because there's two games left. That's something that I have to be clear in my mind; continue to put a good swing on the ball and see what happens."
First round draft pick, Brandon Nimmo, made his first appearance at Citi Field before yesterday's game. He took batting practice and spoke with reporters about his desire to join the Mets.
"I’d love to be up here as soon as possible, but I do understand the process," Nimmo said. "Some guys get rushed through too soon and it’s detrimental to their whole career. I want to do this right."
According to Jerry Izenberg of The Star-Ledger, the Mets blocked the Yankees from bringing their Triple-A team to Newark for the 2012 season. Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo was disappointed with the move, saying:
"Unfortunately, the Mets exercised their territorial rights to block this temporary partnership and have prevented the chance for baseball fans to come to Newark and Essex County to watch players in minor league baseball’s highest classification on their way up to the major leagues. It would have rejuvenated interest in one of the highest levels of the sport in an important urban area."

No comments:

Post a Comment