- With Mike Pelfrey, it's one step forward and two steps back. Pelfrey lasted 4.2 innings, but he probably deserved to be pulled earlier than that. He allowed five runs on eight hits, while striking out three and walking a career-high five batters. Three of those five walks were in the first inning. He gave up one homer, a solo shot off the bat of Andy Dirks.
- Daniel Murphy and Carlos Beltran each homered for the Mets. Murphy gave the Mets a 1-0 lead in the second inning with his solo shot. Beltran blasted his 12th of the season in the eighth inning.
- You won't believe this, but Jose Reyes had a multi-hit game. It's only his 42nd of the season. No big deal. His average is now up to .352.
- Jason Bay had a decent day at the plate, going 2-4.
- The Mets had their chances to score on Tigers starter Justin Verlander, but couldn't, going 0-7 with runners in scoring position.
Next up: The Mets head home to take on the Yankees in the Subway Series. Jon Niese, who was cleared by Mets medical staff, will get the start. Ivan Nova will take the mound for the Yankees. Game time is 7:10 p.m.