Monday, February 7, 2011

Nick Evans: Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride

When will Nick Evan ever be given the opportunity to play for the big league club. I'm not talking about just being called up. I mean actually making it into a game. Maybe more than one game (is that asking too much?).

Regarding Evans, Terry Collins stated: 

“All he’s done is hit. When he’s gotten his chances, he’s hit. I want to give him as good a chance as anybody to make this team. That right-handed power that he can possess off the bench -- or if he can play a couple of positions – would really give us some versatility."

Give the guy a shot. After all, he is out of options, and I don't think a player with an OPS between .800 and .900 throughout the minors this past season will last long on waivers.  

I personally feel as though he should have made the team coming out of spring training last season, and the times when he was called up, I feel as though he was wasted on the bench. What's the point of calling someone up if you're just going to sit them?

There were times last season where I forgot Evans was on the team, that's how little he was used when he was occasionally called up. SNY would pan the Mets dugout and all of sudden there was Evans, and I would ask "When did he get here?"

He'll have a tough time this year as well with the additions of Scott Hairston and Willie Harris.

Do I think he is an every day player? Well...let's not push it. I do think he would be good off the bench.

All I ask is that he is not over-looked this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment