Friday, February 24, 2012

Mets Morning News: Mets Lose Expert Witnesses, Seven Commit To Buying$20 Million Shares, Nickeas Working On Offense

According to Richard Sandomir of the New York Times, Judge Jed S. Rakoff, who is presiding over the $386 million clawback lawsuit against Mets, will decide whether or not to toss the case on March 5.
Jed S. Rakoff, a United State District Court judge, heard more than two hours of oral arguments by both sides before deferring his decision. His only ruling was to toss out the trustee’s two expert witnesses and the one offered by the Mets’ owners, John Maine, who has the same name as a former pitcher for the team.

A jury trial is scheduled to begin on March 19.
The Mets now have a commitment from seven investors to become limited partners in the team.  Among the seven is Steve Cohen, who is also trying to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers.
New York owes $25 million to Major League Baseball, a loan whose repayment was extended from November until March, and $40 million to Bank of America. The team chose to sell limited partnerships following the collapse of a deal last summer with hedge fund manager David Einhorn.
Andrew Keh of the New York Times sat down with Mike Nickeas. Nickeas understands that if he wants to back up Josh Thole behind the plate, he's going to need to hit.
"My offense is something I worked tremendously hard on in the off-season," he [Nickeas]said. "We’re going after it. I’m all in. I know I need to get it done now."

"I’m removing all the inefficiencies from my swing, so I have more time to recognize pitches and see the ball," Nickeas said. "My goal is to be an extremely tough out. I don’t want to be the guy they get to, put a couple of pitches in, and be done."

No comments:

Post a Comment