Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mets Morning News: The Joshes, Davis Is Making Progress, 9/11Remembrance Ceremony, How Many Times Does Pelfrey Lick His Hand?

Rosters expand today, and the Mets have added two new faces. Right-handed pitcher Josh Stinson and infielder Josh Satin have been called up.
"It’s incredible," Satin told the Bisons radio broadcast. "I mean, all the years I played baseball, the goal was always to get to the big leagues. It’s been 20 years since I started playing baseball. You always dream, but you never know if it’s going to happen. And now it happens. I honestly don’t even know what to think. I’m happy, proud and just ready to go."
The team is hoping that the reports of Ike Davis running without pain is a sign that the first baseman can avoid surgery. Davis will begin to participate in some baseball activities soon, which should be the final test before a decision on surgery is made.
"He’s done very well," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "Right now it looks like he might meet us in Florida to do some baseball activity stuff. I don’t think it’s been determined yet [whether to opt for surgery or not]. He’s run the last couple of days with no discomfort. So I think everybody is in line to have him start doing some baseball related stuff, taking [batting practice] and some grounders, not getting carried away but see how that is."
The Mets announced on Wednesday that John Franco will being throwing out the ceremonial first pitch to Mike Piazza during the September 11 pre-game ceremony. Why Franco and Piazza? The Mets offered this reason: "Franco and Piazza played on the 2001 Mets and were instrumental in the club’s relief efforts after September 11."

Ever wonder how many times Mike Pelfrey licks his hands during a game? Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal apparently had a little time on his hands during a recent game. The count: 89.
"It's something I've always done," Pelfrey said. "I think it becomes an issue where people tell me, instead of licking my hand, it looks like I'm licking my whole arm. That's why it gets brought up. Guys have talked about, 'Ahhh, you're eating your whole hand.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment