Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mets Morning News: Nimmo's First Start, Reyes' Return, Izzy In 2012

The newest Met, Brandon Nimmo, may play his first game as soon as this weekend.  The first round pick signed just before the deadline on Monday, and may hit the field by this Sunday.
"Nimmo, who will receive a $2.1 million signing bonus, arrived yesterday in Port St. Lucie, Fla., to prepare for workouts today at the Mets' minor league complex. He is expected to play his first game for the Mets' rookie league team within days."
Nimmo says he knows David Wright from the cover of a video game, and that Wright reached out to him shortly after his signing.
"When I saw him, it was after a game and he was going to get a workout in before they left," Nimmo said. "He just kind of shows by example how hard you need to work to make it. I really have an appreciation for David Wright."
Meanwhile, Jose Reyes is healing faster than expected again, and expects to be ready when he is eligible to come off the disabled list next Tuesday.
"I know it wasn’t as bad as the first one," Collins said. "He said he’s been feeling good and he’s ready to go. He said I’m ready to get back on the field, which is a good sign."
Jason Isringhausen earned his 300th save earlier this week, and says he won't rule out pitching again next year.  But the 38-year-old won't do it at a discount.
If I feel healthy, I'll have my agent talk to some people and see what kind of interest is out there," Isringhausen said before the Mets beat the Padres 7-3. "I'm not coming back for 500 grand again -- I know that. But in the same sense I knew coming in, this year wasn't really about the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment