Tuesday, September 18, 2012

My Take On The Ike Situation

So an anonymous source suggested that the Mets may be looking to trade Ike Davis this winter if the right offer were to come along.

The reasoning for this, according to ESPN New York's Adam Rubin, is the following: "The Mets are disappointed in Davis' unwillingness to make changes based on coaching advice. Although he is personable and by no means a troublemaker, they also worry -- fairly or unfairly -- he is out too late after games, and that could influence other young players."

I have two issues with this and none of them have anything to do with Davis actually being traded. At this point, I think it's safe to say that nobody on this team is safe from being shipped off, Ike included.

My issues are with the reasoning for a trade.

One: This potential trade could be done in order to bring in help in other areas and allow for Lucas Duda to play his natural position...1st base.

Now, I wouldn't call myself an expert on such things, but when making a trade, isn't the goal to replace the traded player with someone equally as skilled at the same position (or gasp! possibly even better???).

Two: Whoever this source is, it appears their goal (or at least one of their goals) is to do a little damage to Davis' reputation. Davis is out too late after games? Who cares? Just like anyone else who has a job, as long as you show up when you are expected to and can do your job successfully, why should it matter what I do after work?

Ike told the Daily News, "I have never missed a game or not been ready to work because of anything to do with staying up too late...I show up every day. I play hard. It's unfair to me, and it doesn't make sense."

Ike's numbers in the first half were nauseating, but he has proven that he can turn things around and has had a very nice second half.

Who knows, maybe one day something just clicked with Ike and he was able to find his way at the plate again. I'm willing to bet, however, that that wasn't what happened. I'm going to go ahead and guess that he worked for it.

I've written in the past that I think Ike's attitude leaves a lot to be desired, but suggesting that he's not putting in the effort, or (out of the blue) labeling him as a partier, I wouldn't say that's fair.

As for influencing younger players...give me a break. This is a Major League Baseball team, not a daycare center. If younger players are that impressionable, perhaps this anonymous source should be looking into the character of those players.

No comments:

Post a Comment