Friday, October 7, 2011

A Few Choice Words For Mr. Reyes

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets have not begun negotiations with Jose Reyes. Reyes told reporters that he expects negotiations to start in the next few days.

Reyes maintains that he wishes to remain a Met.
"I've always said that I wanted to stay here. But at the same time, I understand that this is a business, and we just need to wait and see what happens."
Now let's make something clear. Jose Reyes has control of this whole situation. He either accepts the Mets' offer and stays, or he chases the money and signs on with another team.

I have a few things I'd like to say to Mr. Reyes.

I'm tired of hearing about how much you want to continue to be a Met. If you are serious about it, quit dishing out the cliche responses, end this whole game, and re-sign.

If you decide to go out and test the market, I don't want to hear that sentence come out of your mouth again.

I've written on this site many times before that I lose respect for players who go after the money. 

The Mets are most likely not going to make you the best offer. I'm sure whatever the team offers, it will be worth a couple million and a few years. 

If that's not enough for you, then you can leave. 

You wouldn't be the first star to ditch his beloved team, the one he wanted to remain with his entire career, and I'm sure you wouldn't be the last.

To those who would argue that your leaving would be a disaster for the team, they'll get over it. Life goes on.

If you really want to stay, then accept what the Mets offer you and be happy. 

I know it sounds like I'm anti-Reyes with this post, but I'm not. You're one of my favorite players. I hope you return. What I can't stand, however, is the yearly cat and mouse game between players and organizations once free agency hits.

With that, Mr. Reyes, put your money where your mouth is and re-sign with the Mets. Ya know, since you want to stay here so bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment