Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mets Morning News: Bay Demoted, Attendance Down, Retiring 8

Terry Collins moved Jason Bay to the sixth spot in the lineup in last night's game against the Braves. It didn't help though, as he went 0-4, and is now hitless in his last 17 at-bats.
"A lot is made of the lineup and I understand the theory behind it, but whether I hit first or fourth or eighth, I still have certain expectations of myself and what I can do and now because I'm hitting sixth doesn't mean my approach changes or I do anything different. I'm still trying to do the exact same things I was over the last month in the four-hole . . . but I'm not helping us right there."
Attendance is down again this season. Hmm...I wonder why?
"Seven games out of first place, the Mets' attendance is off by 13 percent from a year ago and 28 percent from 2009. The trend-line continues downward.

Many casual fans figure it's no longer worth the time, the money, the hassle of driving to Flushing. Not when it's easier to watch a game on a high-def TV, or get caught up on an iPad or mobile device. 
Baseball still is best when it's consumed live, but try telling that to Mets fans who've just seen the bullpen blow another late-inning lead. Or see the Phillies swoop in and take two of three. Or hear Wilpon trash his own team. Or keep waiting for Gary Carter's number to be retired."
The fact that Gary Carter is battling brain cancer should not be the reason his number is now retired.
"Carter was integral to Mets' 1986 title team, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary. The list of retired numbers seems incomplete without a representative from that team, and Carter is its only Hall of Famer."

No comments:

Post a Comment