Friday, March 18, 2011

Mets Release Luis Castillo

Well, Mets fans, the day has finally come. Luis Castillo has been released.

"This was a baseball decision," said Mets General Manager Sandy Alderson in a press release. "I met with Terry (Collins) and made a recommendation to Jeff (Wilpon) and Jeff approved on behalf of ownership."

Castillo had one year and $6 million left on his contract.

Talking to Newsday, Castillo said, "I said I came here to play and you didn’t give me the chance,” Castillo told the newspaper he said in the meeting. “You didn’t use me." He later added, "I'm going to wait, go home and hope to catch on with another team."

When was he not given a chance? As far as I'm concerned, the Mets appeared to be pretty accommodating to Castillo.

He arrives late, without letting management know why. Then once he did arrive, he played in 11 games, and got himself 28 at-bats. That would be one less game, yet the same number of at-bats as Ike Davis, who is one of the team's star players.

So please, Castillo, do tell how you weren't given a chance.

I'm glad this day finally arrived, although, I have to be honest I would rather it had been Oliver Perez. In all likelihood, that day will get here soon enough.

Nevertheless, this is now one less distraction the Mets will be forced to face day-in and day-out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment