Thursday, January 27, 2011

All Ball Players Aren't Greedy Jerks

Kansas City Roylas pitcher Gil Meche announced his retirement from Major League Baseball. This news alone is not terribly interesting.

What IS interesting is that he is giving up the $12 million guaranteed to him.

According to an article in the NY Times, Meche just didn't have what it takes to be an effective pitcher anymore. He decided it wasn't worth going through the surgery to repair his right shoulder, followed by rehab.

This is refreshing.

How many times do we see players who should be calling it quits, staying for years, killing themselves to play and contributing nothing to their team.

In some cases, you have players who don't play for a year or two prior to announcing their retirement. A nice way to collect that million dollar paycheck.

Meche told NY Times reporter Tyler Kepner, “When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it...Once I started to realize I wasn’t earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I deserved it. I didn’t want to have those feelings again.”

What a novel idea...earning your money. 

No comments:

Post a Comment