Tuesday, May 1, 2012

So Long, Big Pelf

Mike Pelfrey underwent Tommy John surgery today and odds are good that he will not pitch for the Mets again.

I can't say I'm terribly upset by that.

I don't mean the surgery. I don't wish injury on anyone, and I hope that he has a speedy recovery. I'm talking about his playing time with the Mets.

Yes, he had some success during his time here, but for many fans and myself, we only remember last season. The ugliness. The hand licking. The wiping of the forehead. Then back to the hand licking.

So gross.

He's been labeled a head case by some. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're wrong.

Either way, I don't think New York was the best setting for him.

Assuming all goes well with the surgery, I'm guessing that he will recover and go on to pitch for a smaller market team and find success...like most ex-Met pitchers do.

Good luck, Pelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment