Thursday, January 26, 2012

Does Carter Really Deserve To Have His Number Retired?

Photo: BaseballBacks (Flickr.com)

There has been talk recently as to what numbers the Mets should retire (or should have already retired).

There are the usual suspects: Keith Hernandez and Mike Piazza, but then there has been Gary Carter.

Now, I'm not doubting that Carter was a great contribution to the Mets, both on the field and in the clubhouse. He will forever be a fan favorite. I question the timing of the fans requesting that his number be retired.

Carter has been battling Stage 4 brain cancer since May, and it was announced in the past week that his health is rapidly declining. I wish Carter the best, and nothing would be better than to hear that he will survive this, but should a cancer diagnoses lead to the retiring of his number?

At this point, I feel that retiring his number would just be for sympathy, not because of his years as a Met. That, in my opinion, would be an insult to Carter.

If I were him, I wouldn't want this to happen because I am sick and the fans feel like they need to do this for me. I would want this honor because I truly deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment