Monday, January 10, 2011

My 2011 Season Expectations

At this point, I have to say that I don't necessarily have any expectations for this upcoming season. That doesn't mean I think they will be horrible, nor does it mean I think they are winning the World Series (although it would be awesome if they did).

Without expectations, there can be no disappointment.

There have been no major signings so far this off-season, and I don't foresee any in the near future. That's fine by me.

We've had the big names, and where has it gotten the team? Not too far.

I like the idea of having a team of "no-names." As I've stated in previous posts, when you have players, fighting to be in the line up, and who do not have million dollar, multi-year deals locked up, they tend to play a little harder.

In a time where people are going crazy over statistics, I couldn't care less about them.

All you have to do is look back at previous years' teams and see that being the best ball club on paper doesn't mean you are the best team on the field. You don't win ball games on paper, you win them out on the field. That's what people need to remember, and that's always the first thing people forget.

When's the last time you read anything about a player, or team, and their stats were not forced down your throat? It's constant.

I know wins and losses don't mean much for pitchers. Just ask Johan Santana. How many games since he has arrived on the team did he lose, or get a no decision on, that had nothing to do with his pitching? He was 11-9 this past season, and could have easily been a 15 game winner had he had more support from his offense.

Statistics at the plate don't mean much to me either. You could be the team's big name, the guy everyone would want at the plate in big time situations, and you could strike out looking. Thanks again for that memory Carlos Beltran.

So, I will take this season day-by-day and try my best to ignore the statistics.

As Spring Training rolls around, you can't help but feel hopeful, otherwise what's the point of being a fan. You never know what the year is going to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment