Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bobby V? I'll take Him

Can New York handle having Bobby Valentine as manager of the Mets again? I would love to have Bobby V back here.

Could he turn things around for this team and make them a winning ball club? Your guess is as good as mine.

One thing I do know he will bring...entertainment.

During his time with the Mets, Bobby V had two memorable seasons, 1999 and 2000. The rest I would like to forget.

Can you think of any other manager in baseball who had more failure than success and is still to this day, beloved by just about all fans? I can't.

Despite the years of crappy baseball that was played, I always tuned in to watch the games because, although they lacked talent, they did have some characters.

Those teams had what this current roster does not: Entertainment value.

Who could forget Turk Wendell and his rosin bag tossin', shark-tooth necklace wearing appearances?

What about Robin Ventura's run around the bases dressed as Mike Piazza during a rain delay?

Granted none of these memories have to do with actually playing baseball, but nevertheless it was fun to watch.

That's the problem with this current team. Even if they are winning, they aren't fun to watch. They're a bunch of duds.

As far as grit (a word that seems to be thrown around these days by Mets fans), I don't see it with the current team.

They're biggest attempt to show "grit" came in the final week of the regular season when Carlos Beltran decided he would like to take out Chase Utley at second base (in retaliation of Utley's slide the night before into Ruben Tejada).

Problem with this was Beltran had a chance to take out two Phillies players with his slide and missed both.

That was it. One takeout attempt and done. If it were me, I would have said, "Okay Utley, I'll just go after you next time too." But no one ever did that. They just went back to the clubhouse and said how they were mad and wished they had succeeded at taking Utley out.

I'm sick of all the talk from the clubhouse. Put up, or shut up.   

I think with Bobby V back at the helm, the Mets could be back on their way to playing gritty, entertaining baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment